Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Port forward not working from my Dlink router to Vmware machine

Port forwarding using VBOX/VMWARE to GUEST

A few days back I tried to do a POC, where I had to use some of the IBM Watson and Blue mix services and my hosted application on IOT platform had to access one of the REST api hosted on my VM(Windows) which was running IBM IOC.

So after a long tiring journey I could some how make IBM IOC work and all the REST services were working fine but now I had to integrate it with outside world and then this problem started.

Problem 1 VM not acquiring IP address.

 

I tried all options – NAT/BRIDGED/HOST/ (Tried configuring adapters again)

Tried restarting VM again and again after changing configurations.

But nothing worked, the solution that worked was:

I had to go to Windows 10 my host and check disable all the Ethernet adapters for VMWARE.

I did one ipconfig again on guest and, my IP was there( 192.168.1.10) Bridged.

 

 

Problem no 2 My D link router was not able to port forward

This was actually a bug I just discovered, we all use google input box to find our IP address right ?

Till now I used to think that it is correct address, but today after scratching my head for so long thinking why my port forwarding is not working, I got to know Google ‘my ip’ thing was the problem.

I used to be an expert in port forwarding, using the same router and it wasn’t working, I tried telnet also and it wasn’t working either.

It could be the problem with my ISP or whatever but I actually faced this and had no idea what to do to fix this dlink router problem.

I used canyouseeme.org and I could find the real IP address of my router.

 

After these two problems were solved I could open my IBM intelligent operations control from public IP.

imageimage

 

This fix explained here is a major part of integration in any of the IOT or cloud based system like AWS or Blue mix, where your public cloud is trying to access your POC machine which is running on your windows,since you have local IP address of the virtual machine it becomes difficult for the  online services to access those.

Hope I was clear, I have done a lot of POCs on Maximo and IOT and will post them soon.

I had the same problem while I tried to integration IBM Watson for IOT with my Maximo installations running on VMWARE. In this article I have explained how I integrated IBM WATSON node red with my Maximo application.

Keep Reading !

 

Action Item for your : Subscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment